RURAL VILLAGES AND THE INCOMPLETE RAILWAY OF THE JATO VALLEY
An unusual tour insolito to perform with a Gravel Bike or Mountain Bike, a succession of asphalt, gravel or rammed earth paths in the Palermo hinterland. You will often ride through rural environments discovering some villages settled in the post-war period and now deserted.
DAY 1: PALERMO
Arrival at Palermo Airport, transfer to city center. Arrival at the hotel and room assignment. Briefing and bikes handover. Some free time for independent activities. Free dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 2: PALERMO – MONREALE – PONTE CALATRASI
Bike route lenght: 75 km – 46 miles – Total ascent: approx. 1,400 m – Difficulty: Middle-challenging
Breakfast at the hotel, luggage handover for transport and departure to the Jato Valley. You will leave Palermo firstly cycling to Monreale (coffee break and short visit of the Cathedral), proceeding the ascent towards Portella della Paglia (short break at Giacalone fountain to refill your water bottles). Downhill towards San Giuseppe Jato /San Cipirrello and then head to Borgo Schirò. After the visit, mount up to reach Camporeale. You will ride through a white route in a typycally agricultural land across the Belice Destro river. Break in Camporeale and onward to the final selected farmhouse, located near Calatrasi bridge. Room assignment, dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 3: PONTE CALATRASI – BORGO BORZELLINO – PIANA DEGLI ALBANESI – PALERMO
Bike route lenght: 70 km – 43.5 miles – Total ascent: approx. 1,000 m – Difficulty: Middle-challenging
Breakfast at the farmhouse and departure. You will ride along the incomplete railway track of Salaparuta – Camporeale – Palermo. The sediment now is for 50% on white trails and for the remaining half on main asphalted roads.
The route will be marked by the constant presence of abandoned Castles, flyovers, little stations, and galleries. After a few kilometers, you will get to Borgo Borzellino, where you can have a break for an independent visit.
Following to the visit, you will keep cycling on the remains of the incomplete railway towards Piana degli Albanesi’s Lake, where you can have a break for a packed lunch. After it, downhill to Palermo. Arrival at the hotel, free dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 4: PALERMO
Optional km in bike depending on time available
Breakfast at the hotel and check-out. Depending on flight schedule, time available for independent activities. Transfer to the airport and end of service.
Point of Interest (POI)
- Monreale, its Cathedral and Cloister
- The Jato Valley
- Borgo Schiro’
- Borgo Borzellino
- Incomplete railway Lolli – Salaparuta
- Piana degli Albanesi and its Lake
The quote refers to a minimum of 2 participants. In the case of single participant, an additional fee is requested (see “Optional extra services”).
Departures are guaranteed from the 1st to the 30th of November, other dates upon request.
THE QUOTE INCLUDES:
- x2 nights in double/twin room (breakfast included) in 3 or 4-star accommodation
- x1 night in agritourism accommodation (breakfast and dinner included)
- Gravel Bike or MTB rental
- Luggae transportation
- Maps and road books with route description (1 kit per room)
- GPS stage tracker on bike
- Medical/luggage insurance
- Telephone assistance during the tour (from 9 am to 8 pm)
- VAT and other service charges
THE QUOTE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Transfers to/from airports or to/from train stations
- Lunches and dinners not included under “THE QUOTE INCLUDES”
- Museum admissions and tips
- City tax
- Anything not specified under “THE QUOTE INCLUDES”
OPTIONAL EXTRA SERVICES:
- single room supplement € 120,00
- Rental of 1 pedal-assisted MTB (Bosch Engine), equipped with side rear bags, protective helmet, repair kit, pump and safety chain – €150.00
- Children’s trailer rental (maximum 40 kg) – €50.00
- Rental of 1 rear seat/front – €20.00
- Rental of 1 Garmin Edge 820 – €15.00
- Authorized cycling-guide assistant for the duration of the bike tour – €500.00
- Child listing (4 to 12 years old) on request
- Travel cancellation insurance because of sickness (including COVID) – conditions and fee per person on request
- Supplemental accident insurance during the tour – conditions and fee per person on request
- RCT insurance in the event of a bicycle accident – conditions and fee per person on request
- Bicycle theft insurance – conditions and fee per person on request
- Other services on request
CANCELLATION TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- 28-14 days before the start date of the tour, you will be charged 50% of the total paid amount
- 13- 5 days before the start date of the tour, you will be charged 70% of the total paidamount
- 4 days before the start date of the tour or no show, you will be charged 100% of the total paid amount
Gravel Bikes or MTB are equipped with water bottle cages and special pedals (Shimano or Look, on request).
Individual tour for trained people. For organisational, climatic or legal reasons, beyond our will, the route could be modified before and/or during the holiday. Along the road, for instance, temporary deviations for roadworks could be impossible to foresee.
Place of departure
Place of arrival
Total Km by bike
150 km - 93 miles
2400 m - 7874 ft
Comfortable footwear and sportswear are recommended